Packed with protein, yummy vegetables and a dash of Worcestershire sauce for an extra pop of flavour, beef stew is a tried and tested classic. The perfect way to feed hungry youngsters and ensure they have all the energy needed for a day of adventures. Our super simple recipe is a quick and easy way to get a balanced, nutritious meal into your little ones. It’s also very simple to make!
Pilgrim’s Beef Stew
- 800 g Lean Stewing Beef
- 2 tbsp Plain Flour
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 handful Shallots
- 4 Potatoes
- 4 Carrots
- 1 Swede
- 500 ml Beef Stock
- dash Worcestershire Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC/325ºF/gas 3.
- Dice the beef into 1cm pieces, then toss in a bowl with the flour, making sure the meat chunks are totally covered. Set aside.
- Add a splash of oil to a large casserole pan and place it over a medium heat. When it’s hot, add the beef and cook for 5 minutes, or until the meat is browned all over. Transfer to a plate and leave to one side.
- While the beef is cooking, peel and finely chop the garlic, then peel the shallots and halve them. Then peel and chop the potatoes, carrots and swede into 2cm rounds.
- Splash a little more oil into the pan, then add the veg and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened.
- Return the beef to the pan, add the stock and a splash of Worcestershire sauce.
- Season with sea salt and black pepper, then transfer the stew to the oven or slow cooker to cook for 3 to 4 hours, or until the meat is tender and pulls apart easily with forks.
- Serve your beef stew with a slice of crusty buttered bread.